What Sets Trial Lawyers Apart
If you are attending California Desert Trial Academy College of Law, then you must envision yourself graduating and becoming one of the successful trial lawyers of California. We have all enjoyed a variety of different movies and television shows featuring savvy lawyers who know how to steal the scene in court, leaving the jury and everyone else riveted—and of course, winnng the case dramatically.
The basics in being a trial lawyer include bringing in the clients, interviewing them and finding out all the details of their cases, and then representing them in court. This is also, however, one of the areas of law where you will find the most passionate and dynamic types of attorneys. If this is in your future, here’s what will set you apart:
- Knowledge of the law – while this may seem obvious, as a trial attorney you may try many different types of cases over the years, but your grasp of procedure must be comprehensive as you choose a jury, cross-examine witnesses, and deliver statements both opening and closing.
- Excellence in research – while you may have help in your office performing research, what is important is that you know what details to seek not only in understanding your own client, but also in getting to know the other side clearly.
- Writing ability – for many, this is a learned skill that takes enormous practice, but it will pay off in your career as a trial attorney as you will be responsible for drafting many, many legal documents that should be as persuasive as possible.
- Strong negotiating skills – no matter what your negotiating style is, understanding the other party and what has motivated them to come to the table is key, along with strategizing on how to arrange for a win-win all around.
- Excellent trial skills – this means exuding confidence from the outset, beginning with the first client interview and carrying all the way through to the last moment of the trial. You must be able to think and act quickly, always with the success of your case in mind, remembering a wide range of details while being articulate and commanding in the courtroom.
Are you interested in becoming a trial lawyer through distance learning? Our mission at CDTA College of Law is to educate, train, and develop extraordinary legal advocates. Your legal education will be comprised of bar-tested academic subjects, skills training, and values reinforcement. Upon completion of your four-year course of study you will be fully qualified to take and pass the California Bar examination. Call us today at (760) 342-0900 or find out more online here.